Strikeforce: Miami - Jan 30th












The next 'big boy' show coming up is the Strikeforce event named "Miami" on Saturday Jan 30th.  Take a look at the full card below..


Airs - Saturday Jan 30th
MAIN CARD
  • Nick Diaz vs. Marius Zaromskis (for vacant welterweight title)
  • Champ Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos vs. Marloes Coenen (for women's featherweight title)
  • Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef
  • Jimmy Ambriz Wes Sims vs. Bobby Lashley*
  • Greg Nagy vs. Herschel Walker
PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)

  • Jay Hieron vs. Joe Riggs
  • Pablo Alfonso vs. Marcos da Matta
  • Michael Byrnes vs. David Zitnik
  • Sabah Homasi vs. John Kelly
  • David Gomez vs. Craig Oxley
  • Hayder Hassan vs. Ryan Keenan

 It's actually another promising event brought on by the #2 hitter in the US.  And when I say #2, I'm talking about a seriously distant #2.  Kind of like this blog is to Sherdog.  One thing of quick note....how bout ole Cyborg smack dab in the middle of their promo banner?  For some reason my machismo has shut down and I actually think it's kinda cool that a woman is part of their big marketing push.  Some would argue me about the 'woman' part but that kind of crap is for the a-holes in the comments.  


I like to ask, what fight slaps you across the face when looking at that lineup?  There's always at least one fight off any card that gets you pumped right?  For me, in this instance, I go with the Lawler-Manhoef fight.  That's kinda weird coming from a typically BJJ enthusiast.  Meaning I usually get more fired up for a match where I know there could be some good grappling mixed in with some caveman punching.  Like a Hermes Franca of old.  Put head down - make fists into balls - swing from back to front in circular motion.  If you can't knock him out...submit him.



But back to what I was saying.  Lawler-Manhoef.  Forget any ground fighting, someone is going to take a violence nap.  I'm talking 30 seconds to feel each other out and then flury and then Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.  In this case I'm actually taking Manhoef.  I know Lawler has much more experience and is a pretty smart guy, but crazy-skirt-wearing Manhoef just has everything to gain by going full bore at Robbie.  Knock him out in an incredible fashion and BAM, we'll be buying those silly bondage skirts at the concession stand in the next event.

After that I think I'm really anxious to see Cyborg fight again!  The sad thing is though....that without really knowing anything about her opponent Marloes Coenen, my subconscious is already figuring Santos to win.  I'm the first to admit that I don't know much about woman's MMA.  I mean how can anyone really?  Unless you've just made it a point to be on top of such stuff or get paid 'to know about it', then we're all really just not exposed to it.  


As of right now Bobby Lashley doesn't even have an opponent.  Ambriz is out.  So now we're playing the waiting game.  I'll post an update when there's news.  I'm definitely aboard the freak show of seeing him progress from a WWE wrestler (like ole 'Miracle' Lesner) to heavyweight MMA fighter.



Last thing I'll waste your time with...ex-NFL star Herschel Walker vs Greg Nagy.  Both are new comers to the fight biz, but it's Herschel Walker that Strikeforce is trying to pimp here.   Really at 47 years old...there's just no way this guy is going to be explosive enough to really make a run for a belt or anything.  Seems to me like he just wanted to give it a try and Strikeforce was happy to put his trial on TV in hopes of getting some of those Jersey Shore 'train wreck' ratings.  Oh well....I'm curious of course and won't look away that's for sure.


Oh well, can't wait!  Any particular fights you're looking forward to?


[UPDATE]
Bobby Lashley has a new opponent.  Wes Sims, who if you watched last seasons The Ultimate Fighter, you'll remember as the super tall dorky dude.  He's good, but not great, but will probably give Lashley his best run to date.  Lets hope this one stays on track!!

2 Response to Strikeforce: Miami - Jan 30th

  1. Taint Tickler says:

    In regards to the lawler fight, a booky once told me...when in doubt, always bet on the darker skinned fighter. Your odds of winning increase. doh!

    Cyborg is a beast. I'd like to see her beat down some guy in an exhibition. But I'm still in love with Carano...I want to taste her sweat towel.

  2. Dick says:

    Was that a "booky" or Wesley Snipes that told you that?

    I hear ya, Carano will pretty much always be the face of woman's MMA....even if she never fights again, or worse, never wins again.

Post a Comment